Saturday, May 27, 2006

A.I.C. : Hands of the Heian and Kamakura

It looks like the 12th Century was something of a watershed in Japanese history -- and this large-scale event was marked by new styles of painting - sculpture - and prose -- that are memorable, dramatic, and often-called realistic.

Can we tell that difference from looking at the hands of a few near-life-size statues in the collection of the A.I.C. ?

Here's the Heian:




Heian: 10th-12th C. -- Yakushi Nyorai (deity of healing)

Yakushi Nyorai

Heian: 11th C. -- Bishamon -- deity who guards temples directions)

Bishamon

-------- and here's some Kamakura:

Kamakura:1185-1333 -- Shukongo Jin (deity who protects the law)


Kamakura:1185-1333 -- Shukongo Jin

Kamakura:1185-1333 -- Shukongo Jin


Kamakura: 1185-1333 -- Nyorin Kannon (deity of compassion, wish granting)

Kamakura: 1185-1333 Fudo Miyo-o


Fudo Miyo-o


Kamakura: 1185-1333 Jizo Bosatsu (deity of compassion)


Jizo Bosatsu

I'm not sure what conclusions to draw.

The Kamakura deities of protection seem much more fierce -- with energy being expressed rather than potential -- and that Heian deity of compassion seems
oh-so-delicate. Overall -- maybe the Heian feels more other-worldly or heavenly -- while the Kamakura is more earth-bound.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sir G said...

is a valid comparison between the AIC heian and kamakura statuary valid about heian and kamakura staturary in general? :)

i love the second photo -- what an amazingly beautiful hand, i want to fall on my knees and worship

May 28, 2006  
Blogger chris miller said...

Can this comparison be generalized ?
I have no idea --- that's why I posted it -- so people (like yourself ?) who have been to Japan and visited the great temples can offer their opinions.

And I also love the second photo -- but then -- actually -- I love them all -- even the fierce ones.

May 28, 2006  
Blogger NYE said...

Amazing...I love hands, these hands for sure, and touching and being touched is one of the best senses of being a human...I notice people's hands soon after I stare into their eyes...thanksfor this.

May 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it possible for you to post a detailed picture of Shukongo-jin's face and/or complete sculpture?

August 15, 2006  
Blogger chris miller said...

In order to improve the prospects of my next life -- I've posted a comlete picture of Shukongo-Jim here

August 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<