Sunday, August 27, 2006

Henryk Glicenstein



I never heard of Henryk Glicentein (1870-1942) until I read Kineton Parkes calling him the greatest Jewish sculptor (c. 1930)


Milton Horn

Another Jewish sculptor is Milton Horn (piece shown above) who was born 35 years later. Both were members of the New York Sculptor's Guild (after Glicenstein fled Europe)- and several of the photos of his work shown here, were taken by Pinchas Horn, Milton's father.

So I'm guessing that they met each other -- and I don't think it's too much of a stretch to see the influence of the older man on the kind of the work the younger man would do for the rest of his career.






Especially in wood carving -- a certain quality of cut





But also in the over-all sense of figure -- what I'd call soulful Jewish -- kind of sweet -- kind of sad --- definately not Classical






Feels like Rembrandt here, doesn't it ? The sad - dark - sensuality







This one feels Egyptian.




And this one feels like the backwoods folk-art that could come from anywhere in Europe, America, or even Africa.






Horn is not remembered for ever mentioning Glicenstein to his students -- but I certainly see a connection -- even if Horn was less similar to folk art, and more connected to the classical traditions of Europe and South Asia.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if Glicenstein may have also influnced Chaim Gross? Many of Gross's wood sculptures have that strong feeling of rotund form( if not chiseled surface) that is displayed in Glicenstein last image.I believe Gross was of Horn's era as well?

August 28, 2006  
Blogger chris miller said...

There seems to be even a stronger connection to Gross, doesn't there.

I've never cared for that sculptor -- but I think I'll make a section on my website for "Jewish sculptors" and include Glicenstein, Horn, Gross, and Lipschtiz. (there's many other Jews who were sculptors -- but most of them, like Nadelman, don't seem especially Jewish)

And thanks again for turning me on to Kineton -- I'll see if I can find his other book.

August 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<