Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Drawing Space




Just came across this 1938 drawing by Milton Horn (born 1906) -- and it occurred to me that it exemplifies the organization of space --- as an architect does -- rather than the accurate mapping of an image or anatomical structures -- as practiced by my sworn enemies, the neo-realists.

O.K. -- I'm being over-dramatic here -- nothing is my enemy except entropy -- but what I'm calling "neo-realism" seems to be the dominant trend in the recovery from the mid-century crash of European visual high-culture.

And, of course, this drawing also exemplifies the "New York Heavy Figure School" (Zorach, Lachaise etc) -- i.e. a certain approach to the young female figure that is very different from the Hungarian's shown in my last post.




Here's one of Horn's Christmas cards (undated) that, though a very casual drawing , really emphasizes that worshipful attitude towards an all-powerful femininity that I also blogged about here

For this group of artist/visionaries, this was the emergence of the great Goddess -- no less powerful than when she appeared in the 13th Century -- but no longer a virgin.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris,

So much life in the contours of Horn...here is another sculptor from the era you mention who also "looks up to women" ....I first saw his work in Parkes Book:

http://www.joachimcosta.com/

December 21, 2006  
Blogger chris miller said...

Another new sculptor for me !I love/hate when this happens -- because now I've got to start hunting for pictures and posting them to my site.

Costa especially interests me because he did liturgical work.

December 21, 2006  
Blogger Sir G said...

r u religious? :)

January 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<