Saturday, March 29, 2008

Contemporary Chinese Woodcuts


Gan Zhenglun



The A.I.C. just opened
an exhibit of
Chinese woodblock prints
commissioned by the London based

Muban Foundation


It was all scenes of people
I wouldn't want to meet
and places I wouldn't want to visit

i.e. -- the Chinese artworld is
still in recovery
from the Maoist catastrophe

But I did like the above scene,
with it's sharp vs. blurry
sense of spatial perspective

( most of the woodcuts felt limited
by a uniform sharpness of impression)

(and I'm partial to river scenes anyway)

and note:

rather humorously,
the exhibit is entitled
"Cutting edges: Contemporary Chinese Woodblock Prints"
while, thankfully,
there's nothing "cutting edge" or contemporary about it all.

Perhaps these artists have had enough
cultural revolution ?


4 Comments:

Blogger NYE said...

The scenery in the above work is typical of towns and cities around Shanghai, the area south of Yangtze river, toward the coast. I do find this scene soothing. But I understand what you said about the narrowness of subject...Their talent and imagination are caged for too long. They need sometime to recover...

March 30, 2008  
Blogger epeius said...

What a nice art blog!
Glad to be here!

April 02, 2008  
Blogger c-lo said...

Hi,

I just recently went to this exhibit at the A.I.C. for an exhibition critique project and found myself to be a bit disappointed. Anyway, I tried taking a picture of one of the prints, but was kicked out for trying. I just wanted to take a picture...I noticed that you were able to take a couple...so I was wondering if you happen to have more than just these two that you posted. I really need a couple more to complete my project. I would appreciate if you could assist me in this, but if not then don't worry about it. Thanks!

June 26, 2008  
Blogger chris miller said...

You came at a bad time for the AIC -- most of it will be closed until next Spring when the new wing opens.

Sorry that I don't have any more photos from that exhibit (I didn't like any of the others enough to shoot them)

And sorry about the guards and your camera. I must have gotten lucky that day. Most of those special exhibits have a catalog.

June 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<