Friday, October 31, 2008

Images drawn and shot





Normally,
I stay out of the photograph galleries
at the Art Institute of Chicago.
(except to walk through them
to get to the elevator)

But this exhibit,
"Henri Cartier-Bresson and the Art and Photography of Paris"
included drawings, etchings, and paintings
as well as photographs
from the same time and place,
Paris in the 1920's.

The Matisse etching shown above
was the first thing to catch my eye
(while waiting for the elevator)
and I wish that every wait
could be that enjoyable!





Actually,
I prefer his line drawing
to his painting






Same with Picasso,
when he draws in his classical style
I am in his thrall




Which is not say I couldn't stand
the Cartier-Bresson photographs.

They're wonderful,
and I'm always surprised
at how every photographer
has his own visual style.

But still ----
something very important is missing,
that leaves these images feeling dead and cold
to me.

Like a collection of dried, pressed flowers.



And I really liked the
distinctive work of André Kertész, as well.

When I like photography,
it's because it feels so clever,
especially with these impromptu photographers
who seem to be always hunting for an interesting angle
while walking through the world.




and I admit that I preferred the selected photographs
to the painting and drawing
of Andre Lhote






who gets an "A" in drawing,
but doesn't capture
my imagination.
















2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like the Parisian fork better if it were a rich charcoal drawing.

November 02, 2008  
Blogger chris miller said...

that's how I feel as well - but we're among the few to whom that would make a difference.

November 02, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

<